I really struggled getting involved in this article/blog combo.
I think I've pin pointed why. I'm so blasted tired of social media. I use facebook and instagram every day for my business and the last thing I care to do is examine and pick it apart social media on a rhetorical level.
I don't want to look at it, think about it or even know it exists.
For this reason I chose the article that is about the social media I use the least - Pinterest. I really don't know much about it, I made one a while back but I pretty much just look up supercars when I'm briefly on there. I'm into cars. Slightly. Maybe bordering on obsession. No biggie.
Firstly, Katherine DeLuca is the author of this webtext and she designed it to apparently mimic Pinterest itself. You click on one frame and it takes you to another, which takes you to another and so on until you aren't sure where you are, or how you got there, and why are you looking at how to make paper elephants?? (This literally just happened to me while visiting the real Pinterest)
One main difference is that Pinterest is highly image heavy - yes there is text - especially if you actually follow a link on an image you have selected, which takes you away from Pinterest. DeLuca's webtext is highly text heavy and I found myself feeling fractured as I followed the different 'links' and reading the text. It didn't feel cohesive to me. Once I was down one particular rabbit hole, I sat there for a while trying to figure out how to get back to the main page/point. Constantly clicking back and forth was a tad distracting. Though perhaps I'm just whinging because of my current social-media disgust right now...
One positive thing about this style is that if you're looking for specific information, i.e., who uses Pinterest, there is a sub category for that you can go directing to.
Under the section 'Politics and Pinterest', DeLuca examines the debate about the place for politics on Pinterest and the rhetorical discussions that arise from political stances/opinions being aired. There seem to be two camps - those that want politics on Pinterest and those that just want recipes and fashion. I must say, if I wanted news or politics I most certainly wouldn't visit Pinterest to get them.
I wish I had more profound things to observe about this but I have a 6 page Business Motivation Analysis due today that is monopolizing all my brain, which currently feels like a Pinterest board, crowded and going in fifty different directions.
EDIT: Yep, totally missed the 'abstracts' prompt.....woops! We'll chalk that up to having 22 credits and reduced brain power!
http://kairos.technorhetoric.net/19.3/topoi/deluca/index.html
Although you didn't do "abstract" format, I think you still did and awesome job of meshing blog style and abstract style without maybe even knowing it! And I love the clicking and getting lost reference because I certainly get lost on Pinterest - it's a friekin black hole!
ReplyDelete