So I went and jumped ahead into the Ivan Doig archives.
I was part of a previous class that got to explore this archive while it was still being put together - which was pretty dope.
The special collections department and everyone that has been involved in getting this online have done a great job.
Overall the archives are easy to navigate, user friendly and look pretty good as well.
The first thing I dove into was the photograph collection. And honestly....it was a bit odd to me. Kind of like when you're at someone's house that you don't know very well and you see their photos, personal family stuff on the walls, and you sort of feel like you shouldn't be looking at them.....maybe that's just me but it feels oddly invasive. Yes, I know Doig is no longer alive, and the photos probably offer some insight into his writing process. But it still seems, weird.
The Books and Other Writings section was very cool - mainly because I think a lot of people don't realize how many other things Doig wrote. Its nice to have all his works displayed, with good clear images, on one page. This House of Sky is certainly his most well known work, and many would argue his best, but the others are work a look as well. There's quite a few that I haven't read either and would like to check out. Looking through this archive has inspired me to do so.
No comments:
Post a Comment