I chose to read The Rhetoric of Video Games for my other reading.
Allow me to preface this blog post by saying I know zilch about video games. Nada, nothing.
Sure, I've played a few rounds on a friend's playstation or x box and was decently good at it because of good hand-eye coordination. But beyond that I don't have a clue about the world that surrounds games and gamers, and I'm not going to pretend that I do.
So, with that in mind it feels a bit iffy for me to even talk about the rhetoric of video games. This is why I chose Bogost's article because I was hoping it would shed some light on the whole topic. Bogost discusses the idea that video games are a type of media that is a representation of certain cultural values or 'rhetoric', either either in a serious manner, or a satirical one and so on. My favorite quote from the piece is the following on pg 3 (or 119) -
"When understood in this way, we can learn to read games as deliberate expressions of particular perspectives."
This is a really nice, succinct way for a 'non gamer' to begin looking at the rhetoric of games.
I think most people I know who play video games do so because, they're entertaining for certain personality type. Surely there are more deep reasons but I'm not going to guess what they may be. It also seems to me that there are people who play video games often or now and then, and then there are gamers. Sort of like someone who writes assignments for a class and does well, and someone who calls themselves a writer. I can assume that the rhetoric for the latter two is far more intense or in-depth than the former two. I would like to know how people who are in that rhetorical world of gaming, really think/feel about it.
No comments:
Post a Comment